ScanTools Plus is menu-driven for easy scanner interface setup. Using point-and-click controls, you can quickly define the data collection areas on a standard or custom scan form and specify the format and location for the output file.
ScanTools Plus features:
- Capture both OMR data and image data on one pass through your Scantron image scanner
- Define unique edit criteria each time you scan
- Add constants to each record
- Set output file location and format for easy import into application software
- Score while you’re scanning (if you’re scanning an assessment form)
- Batch score by appending data to your original scan file
- Save your scan profile for reuse at a later date
Image Applications features:
- Capture full- and partial-page images in either bi-tone or grayscale for importing into other programs
- Switch between pencil and ink forms with a simple software selection
- Identify images areas on forms to “clip” and archive for later retrieval—ideal for capturing signatures, short answers, and “show your work areas” on tests
- Capture numeric handprint and machine print data from forms
- Display form images and correct data sheet-by-sheet as it is scanned
- Edit drop-out ink documents using template document overlays
- Control the light source for iNSIGHT scanners
We provide a full suite of consulting services for ScanTools Plus software, including custom application development and user exit programming for Microsoft Windows® operating systems. To get quotes for programming and consulting services, call 800.722.6876.
Embed OMR or Image Scanning into your Software
Seamlessly embed ScanTools Plus software into your application software using the ScanTools Plus Link software development kit (SDK). With this COM (component object model) software development tool, your end users will never know you have launched ScanTools Plus to collect data.
Microsoft and Windows are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
ScanFlex™ Option for Scanning Plain Paper Forms
ScanFlex, an optional module available for ScanTools Plus software, enables iNSIGHT image scanners to scan forms you may have printed locally on plain paper. The ScanFlex option provides the flexibility needed to scan slight irregularities on the forms you print. The power behind ScanFlex is its flexibility—it finds and adjusts to timing marks and response positions so that data on forms can be located and recognized accurately.
ScanTools Plus System Requirements
NOTE: The following are system requirements for the ScanTools software. Be sure to also check the system requirements for the scanner you plan to use with the software to ensure your system will support both software and scanner.
Scantools Plus Requirements
- Personal computer with 1 GHz or faster processor
- Administrator rights to the computer
- Windows 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems, with all hotfixes and services packs installed:
- Windows 7 SP1 or higher
- Windows 8.1
- Windows 10
- 2 GB RAM
- 15 GB free fixed disk space
- Screen/monitor resolution of 1024×768 or higher and at least 32-bit color
- Mouse or other pointing device
- Supported OMR or imaging scanner
- Windows-supported printer
- PDF viewer required to view installed documentation
- Microphone for speech recognition
- Microsoft Outlook 2007 or greater can be used for email functionality
- You can run only one instance of the software at a time on a computer, even in multi-user environments (for example, when using fast user switching).
- We recommend an Internet connection and a web browser for accessing product registration, support information, and product updates. It is not required for product operation.
- An Internet connection and a web browser are required for access to online help.
For any User Exit work, you must use a compiler that can create Windows Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs). Scantron has developed and tested user exits using the following development platforms:
- Microsoft Visual Studio®.NET 2010 – Microsoft Visual C++®.NET.
- Microsoft Visual Studio®.NET 2008 – Microsoft Visual C++®.NET.
- Microsoft Visual Studio®.NET 2005 – Microsoft Visual C++®.NET.
User Exits written for ScanTools II version 1.3 (and later) and Image ScanTools version 5.0 (and later) will run with ScanTools Plus.
User Exits written for earlier versions of ScanTools software will require rework.
Additional information for ScanTools Plus Link SDK:
ScanTools Plus Application Development with Score is included with the Link SDK package. Use this to create your ScanTools Plus applications and profiles.
- ScanTools Plus Link SDK v8.x requires ScanTools Plus software v8.x.
- ScanTools Plus Link SDK with ScanFlex requires ScanTools Plus with ScanFlex software.
Database and Spreadsheet Support
With no programming effort on your part, the ScanTools Plus data can be imported into Microsoft SQL Server and Microsoft Excel.
With your programming effort and using the Scantron OLE DB provider, you can access scanned data using familiar programming languages. Visual C++ programmers can use OLE DB for increased performance. Java programmers will typically use ADO via Windows Foundation Classes (WFC). The Visual J++ environment has excellent support for ADO.
Development Platforms Supported
ScanTools Plus Link SDK solution programs can be developed using any Windows platform that supports the Microsoft Component Object Model (COM). Scantron has developed and tested the Sample applications using the following development platforms.
- Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2005, 2008, 2010
Programmers embedding ScanTools Plus Link SDK in their applications must:
- be proficient in Windows programming on chosen development platform
- know how the development platform can interface to COM components
- be proficient in the standard ScanTools Plus application development software, including the ability to create, resolve, and test scanning applications